Friday, April 29, 2011

Are we too Connected?



Facebook, Twitter, Smart phones, Apps, Four Square, Linked In, Text Messages....and the list keeps going!  Are we too connected to the world?  When do we turn them off?  When do we say no?  When do we disconnect?

In ministry we use all of these to stay connected with our students, parents, and congregation!  But are we still staying connected with Jesus and our family?

There has been numerous times my wife has asked me to just set my iPhone or iPad down and just chill. She brings up a great point that too often I am too connected.

The first thing I do every morning when I get up is pick up my iPhone, check the weather, my email, twitter, and Facebook.  When I have a free second in the day I repeat the cycle, just to make sure I'm on top of everything.  And at times this causes me to miss time connecting with Jesus and my family.  I'm ashamed to type this, but its true.  And I know many other youth pastors who do the same thing.

I have been working really hard of late to just say no to being connected.  When my wife and I go out to eat or to a movie, I turn my phone off or leave it out of sight.  When I'm spending time with my daughter, I turn it off.  I have been working on waiting till later to return a phone call or text.  Its not the end of the world if I do not return an email, tweet, text, or Facebook message immediately.   I've just learned we have to take time for ourselves and UNPLUG social media and our phones.

Time with Jesus and time with my family comes first.  It is something I'm working to take back.  So if I don't respond to your email, tweet, text, phone call...know that I will.

So how connected are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment