Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Making Time for God


Sunday Night I spoke to my students about being devoted to God and how tough we can make it out to be.  We all have our excuses of being too tired, too busy, or just forgetting to spend time with God.  I'm just as guilty as the next person.   My wife works three nights a week in the ER.   Which means there are 3-4 nights during the week that I wake up when she gets home around 7ish.  I get ready, I help her get our daughter ready, and then I take our daughter to daycare.  I then go to the office...I try to carve out time when I get there to spend time with God.  But too often meetings, people stopping me in the hall, phone calls, or other distractions keep that from happening...then the next thing you know its time to pick up my daughter from daycare.  I rush home to cook dinner or pick up dinner for my wife.  We eat, we try to have family devotion before she heads back to work...and then its daddy/daughter time...then after I get her put to bed which is usually around 8-9 I clean the house, wash dishes, do laundry, check email, finish work, grade papers, watch tv, and finally relax.  By that time I'm usually checked out and its hard for me to take time at night...or at least I don't always make time at night to spend with God.

I look back to my junior and senior year of high school.  I used to wake up twice a week to meet with my guys small group on Tuesdays at McDonalds and go meet with another friend on Friday at Waffle House to have Bible study.   Every morning and every night I would spend time with God...lots of time...life was good.  I was good...I had a great love for God...in college I had many times just like that as well, but when I got to the real world over time I got slack.  I miss those years.  I am working to get back to that.  I know what to do...its just sometimes hard.  I say that because when I do make the time I too often try to come up with a great lesson or a sermon instead of just being in communion with God and enjoy it.  I have to take off the professional youth worker hat and just be me.

How do you spend time with God?  What works for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment