Monday, November 8, 2010

Hard Saying Goodbye

Last night was a very tough night for me, as I resigned from my position as the director of Student Ministries.  Last Wednesday, I accepted a new job in student ministry in South Carolina.   It is a great opportunity for me and our family.  It also puts us closer to family and friends.   The past couple days it was very tough to know that I was going to have to tell my students and adults that I was going to be leaving.   I have invested my last four years in most of their lives.  How do you just tell them that you are leaving in less than a month?  There is not an easy way to do that.  


The scripture I used last night was Philippians 1: 3-3 I thank my God every time I remember you. 4 In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy 5 because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now, 6 being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.
 7 It is right for me to feel this way about all of you, since I have you in my heart and, whether I am in chains or defending and confirming the gospel, all of you share in God’s grace with me. 8God can testify how I long for all of you with the affection of Christ Jesus.
 9 And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, 10 so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless for the day of Christ, 11 filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ—to the glory and praise of God. 

It is amazing to look back at the last four years here at Blair Road UMC and see how much the students have grown in their walk with God.  And it was very evident last night when they stood one by one and told of how they have grown.   They each have an amazing testimony.  I look at my favorite verses in ministry, 1 Corinthians 3:6, "I planted the seed, Apollos watered it but God made it Grow."  In ministry we sometimes plant the seed, sometimes we are the ones that waters and nurtures it, but God grows it.  In ministry, people come and go.  There is always a transition in small group leaders, sunday school teachers, and other positions.   There are so many that plant seeds, there are many that water the seeds, and we never know sometimes which ones we are.   We must always keep our heart and eyes on God so that He can make them grow.

And when I look at both of those verses as I start packing my things to head to Columbia, SC, I know that God is in control.   I will always have a special place in my heart for the students and congregation here at Blair Road UMC.

No comments:

Post a Comment