Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Are we Fairweather Fans too?


This morning on my 10-15 minute drive to the Church office, I saw more Duke Blue Devils Car Magnets and Car Flags than I have the entire 3 plus years I've lived here in North Carolina.   I guess they only bring those out on special occasions...like the other 3 National Championships they go....  If they really are Duke fans...then why haven't we seen this much excitement before? Is there an unsaid NC law that you only fly your flags and put on magnets when you win the BIG game?

Living in Georgia most of my life, I have seen UGA and Tech fans fly their flags 365 and driving through and being in college in SC, I saw USC and Clempson flags flown every day of every season.  I myself fly my Gamecock flags on my truck throughout the entire football season.   Win...Lose....it doesn't matter, I'm going to show my true colors of Garnet and Black!

Too often in our spiritual lives we are fairweather fans!  We only fly the Jesus carflags and put on the the Jesus car magnets on Easter and Christmas.  We are Fairweather Jesus Fans!

Luke 9:23 says, "Then he said to them all: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.

We need to be like those fans who support their team during a 0-11 season and still fly their flags and support their team.  We need to be like those fans who wear their team t-shirt the day after their team loses the big game.   We need to be Jesus fans every day!  Just like the fans that receive grief and harsh words from opposing fans, we too when we stand up for Christ will suffer.  In these days of our sports society I feel that the analogy of sports and our walk with Christ are very close.  But think about how you have in the past or recently done things for your "team" and then think about how you have not done the same for your Savior...

So are you a Fairweather fan in Sports and in Church?


No comments:

Post a Comment