Monday, June 15, 2009

What shoes are you wearing?

Here is the cliff notes version of my sermon for June 14, 2009 for Youth Sunday

What shoes are you wearing?

Forrest Gump Clip 1
“My momma always said you can tell a lot about a person by their shoes, where the go, where they've been. I've worn lots of shoes, I bet if I think about it real hard I can remember my first pair of shoes. Mama says they was magic shoes. They could take me anywhere.”

I challenge you this morning as we talk about all the shoes, to look and see which shoes you have worn in your life and what shoes you are wearing today.

2 John 1:4-6 4It has given me great joy to find some of your children walking in the truth, just as the Father commanded us. 5And now, dear lady, I am not writing you a new command but one we have had from the beginning. I ask that we love one another. 6And this is love: that we walk in obedience to his commands. As you have heard from the beginning, his command is that you walk in love.


Ephesians 6:14-15, - Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, 15and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace.

Intro Story on TOMS SHOES


OLD HOUSESHOES - I've made a commitment to Christ, but I've been pretty lazy when it comes to serving Him.

DRESS SHOES I have a nice, shiny faith on the outside, but I only bring it out on Sunday's and special occasions.

WORN OUT SHOES - I've come a long way, but I need some serious healing.
Matthew 15:8 “These people honor me with their lips but their hearts are far from me.”

SILLY ANIMAL HOUSESHOES My spiritual life is a joke. I don't take serving Jesus seriously. I want everyone to look at me instead of God.

SANDALS - When the weather is good and the sun is shining, I'm out there walking with the best of them - but when things get stormy, I get discouraged and quit.
John 8:12, 12When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."

WORK BOOTS It's been hard work lately, but I'm actually following through on my responsibilities.

Forrest Gump Clip 2
“Now you wouldn't believe me if I told you, but I could run like the wind blows. From that day on, if I was ever going somewhere, I was running!”

RUNNING SHOES - I feel like God is helping me to finish the race.
Isaiah 40:29-31, 29 He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. 30 Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; 31 but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.


Which of these shoes best represents your own walk with Christ? Walking with Christ means knowing Him and obeying Him. As we do this our minds become transformed to be more like the mind of Christ. It means that when you stumble, and we all will, that you will get back up, dust yourself off, and start walking again. Because as followers of Christ, we know that we are not walking alone. He is with us every step of the way, offering encouragement and love. As believers we also know what awaits us at the end of this race....an eternity in the presence of our loving God.

Because as followers of Christ, we know that we are not walking alone. He is with us every step of the way, offering encouragement and love.


As believers we also know what awaits us at the end of this race....an eternity in the presence of our loving God.

Hebrews 12:1
Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.

After hearing this, we should all hear the saying, “Put yourself in someone else’s shoes” you’ll have a new understanding….

No comments:

Post a Comment