Friday, February 27, 2009

Awanita

It's late on Thursday night/Friday morning and I'm washing clothes and packing for our Winter/Spring Retreat.

I'm really looking forward to going back to Awanita Valley Retreat Center.  I still remember the first time I went back in 1995, when Chip was the speaker.  It was the week before Marvin UMC interview him to be our Youth Director.  It as an awesome weekend.  And then for the next 2 years we went back with the Augusta UMC District retreat.  Those were the days...

And then in 1998-2001 I went back as a counselor for Marvin UMC and also helped with the skits.  And then in 2003 I took my youth from Tucker 1st UMC there for a retreat.

Looking back over a decade later, I can see how Awanita helped shaped me into the Youth Pastor I am today.  It is really cool to see that.

And now 14 years later, I'm going back with another group.  It is going to be a great weekend.  Jason Sansbury, a close friend, is coming from Nashville, TN to be the speaker for the weekend.  Jason and I go way back to the days of the Augusta District.  He has been a great brother in Christ.  I'm really looking forward to the messages he is bringing this weekend.  I'm also looking forward to our awesome worship band led by a college friend of mine Josh Ridings.  Josh led worship at USC FCA.  While I was going through my wild stages at USC and attending FCA, he asked me to join the worship team and play guitar.  That was a big part of me getting back into ministry.

Well I'm headed to bed...and looking forward to a great weekend back at Awanita!

No comments:

Post a Comment